Code of Ethics
Section I: General Conduct
As a member of the Lagotto Romagnolo Club of Canada (herein named “LRCC”), I:
- consider the welfare of the breed and refrain from actions contrary to the best interests of the breed or the LRCC;
- advertise factually and honestly about the Lagotto Romagnolo and agree to be open and honest in all matters regarding my Lagotto Romagnolo and the breed in general;
- share knowledge truthfully, constructively and respectfully when conveying information about members and members’ breeding programs;
- shall not use abusive or defamatory language when conveying information about the breed, the LRCC or other member breeders;
- shall encourage the participation with the club and its activities with other Lagotto Romagnolo owners or prospective owners;
- shall keep only as many dogs as legislated in my municipality and for which I can provide a high standard of overall care;
- shall provide appropriate nutrition, veterinary care, grooming, training, exercise and supervision to ensure my dogs are well mannered, kept in safe conditions, and are not abused or neglected. I do not allow my dog(s) to roam at large unsupervised nor to become a public nuisance;
- shall keep the best interests of the club in mind, be respectful towards all other club members and work in conjunction with the Code of Ethics of the CKC in this regard;
- shall provide the LRCC with registration information of all Lagotto Romagnolo that I own for the purposes of CKC accreditation;
- understand that any misrepresentation to the LRCC and its Board of Directors and respective committees may result in disciplinary action including but not limited to expulsion;
- understand that violation of this Code of Ethics can subject me to the disciplinary processes provided by the LRCC and may subject me to reprimand, suspension or revocation of my membership to the LRCC.
Section II: Breeding and Placing Lagotto Romagnolo
As a breeder and/or owner/member who breeds and/or places Lagotto Romagnolo in new homes, I:
- will promote the standard of the breed by:
- using the breed standard created by the FCI and adapted by the CKC for the Lagotto Romagnolo to assess the suitability of temperament and type for exhibition and breeding;
- breeding for the characteristics set forth in the CKC standard for the Lagotto Romagnolo;
- participating in and/or support events which promote the breed standard and reflect the breed’s history and heritage such as specialty shows and performance events when possible.
- Pet dealers;
- Individuals conducting raffles, contests, auctions, or other types of giveaways, or;
- Anyone unethical in their dealings with the public or their dealings with or treatment of animals.
- applicable registration papers/applications; for non-breeding dogs, I provide either limited or non-breeding registrations;
- all pertinent medical information;
- a written contract detailing all guarantees, obligations and expectations of breeder/seller and buyer.
Section III: Competing with Lagotto Romagnolo
As an owner or handler of a Lagotto at any dog event, I:
- am responsible for the dog’s well-being, conduct and appearance;
- compete with dogs that reflect the best possible image of the Lagotto Romagnolo;
- ensure my dog(s) conform as closely as possible to the breed Standard as approved in the country of exhibition for conformation events;
- ensure my dog(s) are neat, clean and in appropriate condition for their sport for companion events;
- conduct myself in a professional and sportsmanlike manner at dog events and at public facilities supporting those events, reflecting the best possible image of participants in the sport of purebred dogs;
- assist newcomers interested in learning about or participating in events;
- ensure that in all dog related activities, the dog’s welfare takes precedence over considerations of breeders, trainers, owners, organizations, sponsors, and officials.